It can be challenging to travel with food allergies. And parents traveling with a child, or children with severe food allergies, should plan ahead to make sure they are filled with healthy food to feed the family when not at home.
Below is a list with some of our favourite dishes that you can enjoy on long car journeys and at campsites. We prepare some of the food in advance and freeze it so that it is heated in our 12 V cook top on the go. This system allows us to leave our house and travel far away from the city, as we can’t afford to go to restaurants or try to find health food stores on the long back roads.
You can also find great food in boxes and packages at your local health food shops. All of our bread is made from scratch. Many of these items can be found at your local health food store and are milk- and preservative free.
These are our top picks
Breakfast Heat that is vacuum-sealed can be placed into an aluminum pan and heated on the stove. You can give your child goat milk and cheese products if he isn’t allergic.
- Toast and eggs served with fresh fruit, bacon and potatoes.
- Breakfast bars (often homemade)
- Pancakes or waffles with syrup or agave nectar, served with fresh fruit, bacon and potatoes.
- French toast served with syrup, powdered sugar, scrambled eggs and juice.
- Homemade bagel, served with mayonnaise and a slice each of tomato or goat cheese.
- Yogurt muesli topped with fresh fruit slices
- Rice milk and gluten-free cereals
- Country roast with bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and goat cheese. Garnished with eggs, salt, pepper, and garnished with eggs.
Healthy Snacks Cold Healthy snacks can be prepared with little effort
- Buffalo Jerky nitrates free, homemade popcorn, chemical-free crisps, pretzels, homemade cookies
- Fresh fruit, apples, oranges and grapes, fresh fruits, apple slices, bananas and oranges, as well as fresh vegetables, carrots, celery and other fresh produce.
- Dates, dried fruits and nuts, dates.
- Candied fruit, small oranges and fruit cocktail, applesauce and peaches, etc.
Each lunch meal includes a side dish and side dishes.
- Sandwiches, egg and tuna salad, sandwich, turkey avocado, bacon, and ham and goat cheese are all options.
- Pasta, pasta salad and macaroni salad. A cup of healthy soup. Pasta with sauce. Pasta with meatballs.
- Meat pie and chicken pie
- Entertaining food, no corn nitrate corn, homemade gluten-free chicken sticks, fish and chips
- Sandwich made without dairy products and without preservatives.
- Salmon, fish and rice, tilapia, or any other white fish
- Dairy-free pizza can be made and heated at 12 V, since the stove is on
Side dishes are a mixture of the following side dishes.
- Baked beans can be prepared in advance, or bought in a container and heated on a 12-volt baking pan.
- Fresh vegetables: Broccoli, mashed potatoes and green beans.